ADDRESS: BRACKEN ROAD, NEWLANDS, WELLINGTON - PHONE: (04) 4788195 - FAX: (04) 4784812 - EMAIL: OFFICE@NEWLANDSINT.SCHOOL.NZ
Welcome to the Principal's blog!
Kia ora and welcome to 2015
Several years ago we looked closely at the concept of BYOD - Bring Your Own Device and after canvassing our students, staff and community we decided the time was not right. With the primary and secondary schools around us now actively looking at and promoting BYOD we have revisited our decision.
Newlands Intermediate is launching a Bring Your Own Device (BYOD) initiative this year. Students will be able to bring laptops, Chromebooks, tablets or iPads to use for educational purposes.
We are a well-resourced school with good access to digital devices, but BYOD is an optional extra for those students who would like to use their own device to support their learning.
- be either a tablet, iPad, netbook, laptop, Ultrabook or Chromebook. Smartphones are not considered appropriate for BYOD at Newlands Intermediate
- have a screen size no smaller than 7 inches (measured on the diagonal)
- be wifi capable
- in the case of Windows' devices, have up-to-date antivirus protection
- have word processing and internet browsing software
Other things to consider include:
- size and weight of the device as it will be travelling to and from school each day
- whether it has a camera (useful though not necessary)
- protective covering
While we look forward to the educational opportunities that BYOD will bring, participation in this initiative is voluntary. Your child will not be left out if they do not have a device. Newlands Intermediate will continue to provide access to school owned technology. Please look at the BYOD Information sheet below.BYOD Supporting Information
Please note that no digital devices should be brought to school until the Digital Code of Conduct has been brought home, discussed and returned to school signed by parents. This will be sent home on Tuesday February 3rd and the sooner it is returned, the sooner devices can be bought into school to support learning.
See you on February 2nd.
school camps 2015
This year our class camps will be held overnight at Kaitoke Regional Park. Your student will bring home information about their camp over the next few days.
PoWhiri to welcome new whanau and teachers